BSO

BSO

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Brown Surging

Coakley Fading Fast



In a stunning development in the race to fill the U.S. Senate seat formerly held by Ted Kennedy, the Republican nominee State Senator Scott Brown has surged within nine percentage points of the scandal plagued Democrat nominee Martha Coakley. It's been the conventional wisdom that whoever won the Democrat nomination in last month's primary would win in a walk, but now it appears that it is turning into a real horserace and that the Democrats will have to fight to hold onto the seat. Making it that much more challenging, Sen. Brown also received the endorsement yesterday of Boston Red Sox deity Curt Schilling:

Curt Schilling, the former Boston Red Sox pitcher who had toyed with running for the Senate in Massachusetts, has endorsed Republican state Sen. Scott Brown. Schilling made the announcement on his blog Monday, calling Brown “exactly what this state and this country needs right now.”

“He’s for smaller government, stopping the concentration of power in one political party, a strong military and vigorous homeland defense, as well as — and probably most appropriate and meaningful right now — giving all Americans health care, but not by creating a new government insurance program,” Schilling wrote. “This state can literally change the nation in one day,” he added. “Think about that, and then go vote for Scott Brown and make it happen.”


Of course the candidate in the race that is the most right on the most issues is Libertarian Joe Kennedy, who gets only two percent in the polls. However, considering how important this race is, and how much misery we can be spared if the Democrats lose their 60th vote in the Senate, it may well be time for the anti-Coakley forces to swallow their differences and unite behind Brown. At the very least some people can make themselves useful by following this advice offered by a poster on the Boston Herald website:

"Could all those who hurt this country by blindly voting for Ted Kennedy for 50 years please stay home on election day? You've done enough damage."

Inauguration Day

Yesterday a motley crew of politicians were sworn in at cities and towns all over the Valley. That incluldes Springfield, as shown in this Angelo Puppolo photo.



Inauguration ceremonies always bring out a big crowd in Springfield, as seen in this Bruce Adams photo.



Here's a gang of Springfield politicians as captured by Adams. Believe it or not, there are actually a few good apples among the rotten bunch, but Springfield still has to face the truth about its corrupt past before it can move into the future.



The real political war in Springfield is being fought between lies and truth: So far, lies are winning by leaps and bounds; and that's the truth.

Baby It's Cold Outside

Every morning I enjoy the transcendant beauty of the woodland way into downtown Northampton.



The shame is it's so damn cold even dogs are wearing boots!



It makes you wanna hide out in the cozy confines of the Haymarket.



In Westfield they have a Santa House on the rotary. That's my sister Bev waving in front of it. With the holidays over, Santa has split the scene.



May as well go across the street to the Westfield Tavern and admire John Bonavita's Christmas decorations while they're still up.



Music Flashback

When I was still too young to legally hold a job I worked "under the table" at Nora's Variety on Boston Road in Pine Point, sorting the newspapers before school at 5:30 in the morning and tieing up the returns. I remember being hypnotized when I saw David Cassidy posing nude on the cover of Rolling Stone. It made me wonder why none of the pictures of pretty girls on the covers of the other magazines had the same effect on me.

Later and still underage, I used my brother's draft card to assume his identity and get a third shift job on the weekends in a Dow Jones printing plant in Chicopee. The problem was I would forget that my name was supposed to be my brother's and wouldn't respond when people called me "Rick." All the while I was an honor student at the High School of Commerce serving on the Student Council.

Then I discovered drugs and all that changed, but damn, what demon possessed me to be so ambitious?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I remember being hypnotized when I saw David Cassidy posing nude on the cover of Rolling Stone. It made me wonder why none of the pictures of pretty girls on the covers of the other magazines had the same effect on me."

Being hypnotized by a nude body is not right for anyone, but in your case it had evil mixed in, not that you are evil, but your mind is controlled by evil

Anonymous said...

And you wonder why you are often regarded as a right-winger, despite the 'Libertarian' veneer?

Tom said...

Sheesh, I wonder what planet these posters are from?

Anonymous said...

10-17-08
Yet in the past I have often supported candidates at all levels who were without any chance of winning, and I have always disapproved of people who chose their candidate on the basis of only one issue. However, I was so alarmed by the prospect of a President Obama or a President Hillary that I backed Senator John McCain because he seemed the most electable.

That has proven to be a mistake on my part. I no longer believe that McCain can win, and I'm not sure I care very much if I'm proven wrong. His campaign has simply reinforced all his negatives and diminished all that I hoped would be positive about him.

I promise never again to make the mistake of forgetting that in the long run the most idealistic course of action is always the most practical. Better to go after what you want and not obtain it, than to support what you don't want and get it. Once upon a time I knew that, and I won't forget it again.

Only 3 months later-
Of course the candidate in the race that is the most right on the most issues is Libertarian Joe Kennedy, who gets only two percent in the polls. However, considering how important this race is, and how much misery we can be spared if the Democrats lose their 60th vote in the Senate, it may well be time for the anti-Coakley forces to swallow their differences and unite behind Brown

How soon we forget!!

Tom said...

I'm still not certain I'm supporting Brown, but I feel compelled to consider it based on his soaring poll numbers. The danger is so great that the Health Care rip-off will pass that I just can't pass up the chance to help kill it if Brown looks close enough to win. It's a hard choice, but so much is at stake.