The Baystate Objectivist

The Baystate Objectivist

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sons of Erin



Oh no, it was another unproductive weekend - unless you were producing shouts of laughter, in which case it was a weekend of overflow production! I did at least one thing that sort of resembled work, and that was helping my sister to move to her new apartment in Westfield. Afterwards we were feeling a bit parched, so myself and my sister and my sister's friend Mary headed over to the nearby Sons of Erin for a refreshing beveridge or several.




The most popular Irish club in the Valley is Springfield's John Boyle O'Reilly Club, a place where my family rules! But the Sons of Erin are an equally cool bunch and there is no real rivalry between them, since wherever Irish people gather there is a sense of brothership. On our way inside, we paused by the memorial to those who lost their lives on Septemeber 11, 2001 in the Pioneer Valley.



A considerable time later, upon leaving the joint, my sister and I paused for Mary to take our picture by the wall mural meant to represent an Irish nature scene. So we look like we're in Ireland, but only if Ireland were a cartoon.



Being Irish is a big part of my family history and the forces which shaped who I am, but I don't take this ethnic trip too far. Being 100% American is good enough for me.

In the course of moving, for some reason we made a movie. It has something to do with an antique portrait of my Great Grandfather on my mother's side.

1 comment:

When you're right, you're right said...

Hey Tom,

I think that that mural is supposed to be the Cliffs of Moher. I was there twice--in 2002 and 2003. I think that the painter approached the cliffs from a different angle than I did, but I would surmise that those are the same cliffs.

Being "100% American" is good enough for me too. Going to Ireland made me realize how little connection I have to the land of (half of) my ancestors. I may have an ultra-Irish surname, but I'm not Irish, I'm American. When people ask me, "What are you?" I always answer, "I'm American." They think that that's a smartass answer, but it really isn't. It's just the truth. If someone asks what my ancestry is, then I will tell them, but if someone asks what I "am", I always respond the same way--American.