BSO

BSO

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Odd Amherst Art


Today I was walking across the Amherst Town Common when I noticed these two weird art-beings someone had created and placed beneath a tree.





They appeared to be made of paste and newspaper, probably by being originally wrapped around actual human models. The book the female art-being is reading is a religious one, but what significance that is supposed to have, if any, I'm not sure. 





Of course, being made of such flimsy material, the art-beings will either have to be removed before the next time it rains or be destroyed. You see a lot of art like that around here, art which suddenly appears, makes a statement and then quickly vanishes.

Here's me in between my two maternal ancestors, my great grandfather on the left and my great-great grandfather on my right. I'm told that the frames to those portraits, both over a hundred years old, are worth money.





But they will never be sold. We Devines treasure our family history, even though it is filled with horse-thieves, drunkards and eccentrics.

In Westfield last week I saw this sign in front of someones house, commanding that we make a choice.

 



Um, can I have both?

Visitors to this downtown Amherst doorway find that the answer is always....





1 comment:

Mary E.Carey said...

Great photos of those sculptures. Really nice post all around.