BSO

BSO

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bad Comic

Fucked up Funky.

 



Did you read Funky Winkerbean this morning? As usual lately, it was not funny.





I used to like Funky Winkerbean, but now it sucks. This is the history of the comic according to the King Features Syndicate:

Tom Batiuk's popular Funky Winkerbean made its debut on the comics pages in 1972, and today appears in more than 400 newspapers worldwide. The cartoonist not only entertains teenagers and adults alike with his portrayal of the students and faculty at Westview High, but has earned high marks for his sensitive treatment of important social and educational issues. His groundbreaking series on teen pregnancy, reading impairment dyslexia, teen suicide, teen dating abuse and breast cancer earned Batiuk high marks from fans, educators and community leaders.

Oh bullshit. The serious stuff was always the worst. After reading a newspaper often full of depressing news, I don't want to turn the comic's page and see my favorite comic characters dying and shit. Remember when that chick died of cancer?





That was not funny! The purpose of comics is to make you laugh, and that was not humorous, except maybe to a particular reader.





Now the strip has hit a new low, with all the characters suddenly being drawn as if they were aging badly. It's a disgrace what's become of Funky himself:





The wise readers of The Comics Curmudgeon had just the right take on this travesty, and here's a sampling:

Brown-eyed Girl says:

I’ve been ignoring Funky Winkerbean and hoping it will go away. All the comments about this week’s strip made me look, and I am sorry I did. It’s only been a week, but I hate what Batshit is doing with his characters. I think I need to stop reading FW snark too. Bah.

Mooncattie says:

To Brown-eyed Girl - There is wise advice from Marvin, the Paranoid Android from Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy…”Why stop now, just when I’m hating it?” The FW cast is actually HAPPY this week as they remember the cancer victims and watch Funky work himself into an early grave. Just think, the depressing stuff is still to come! I can’t wait!

Buck Ripsnort says:

So, anybody taking bets that the Funk’s real problem turns out to be diabetes from the years of booze and bad diet?

Baron Von Foobenstein says:

I foolishly stumbled onto the Stinky Funkerbean website and looked at the character profiles. Maybe it’s just my perception, but the 46 year old characters all look a helluva lot older than 46.

Jogo says:

The horrible thing about Funky is that he now looks like an out-of-shape George W. Bush

In short, I have added Funky Winkerbean to my growing list of comics I no longer read in this humorless age. 



Much has been made of Hanna Montana, the symbol of TV teenage innocence played by Miley Cyrus (below with dad Billy Ray). 





But have you seen her boyfriend Justin Gaston? I know I would have a hard time maintaining my innocence with this lad around. 





On the commons in Amherst this morning they had a voter registration drive. 





Yesterday my sister Donna and I had to go down to the courthouse. This was the view of beautiful downtown Springfield through the windshield of my sister's car.





I was tempted to buy one of these two dollar hotdogs, yet I resisted. Although I am more of a common sewer than a connoisseur, I'm trying to upgrade my diet. 





While crossing Court Square I spotted the award winning blogger Bill Dusty schlepping around looking for bloggable material. Here he is with my sister Donna. 





Me on the courthouse steps. 




1 comment:

Joey B said...

Donna is your sister?!

I'm in the UWW program at UMass... she was a lot of help getting me squared away. Now I know why she looked so familiar. I saw her with you when your brother came to town. You came into the gallery with them.

I meant to say hello to you at the time but I was working and... well... I would have felt a bit like a jackass coming up to you and saying, "Hey, you're Tommy Devine. I read your blog."