BSO

BSO

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Damp Hamp

A lazy rainy afternoon.

Today was one of those dreary wet New England days when it's too warm to snow but so cold that the dampness of the rain gets into your bones as an unshakeable chill. It's just something that you have to deal with, since life goes on whatever the weather, like a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do, as this woman in downtown Northampton can testify.





I was in downtown Hamp this afternoon after meeting with my shrink, and was just sort of meandering down Main Street contemplating my poor mental health, when my mood was brightened by this neat new history display by the courthouse.





I came upon another one by First Church.



It's great that Northampton is making an effort to educate the tourists (as well as the citizenry) of Hamp's proud historic heritage.

The rain was keeping the usual gang of crazies from hanging out in front of the Haymarket.





However, I did run into the popular street musician Luke Arivell, who told me that he will be playing the Haymarket tomorrow night.



This may be one of your last chances to see Luke for cheap, as his talent all but guarantees that he will one day be charging top dollar. It is also the first time I remember the Haymarket having music. So stop by tomorrow night at 8 p.m. and check it out.

Continuing up the hill, I decided to stop at that great haven from rainy days, the Forbes Library.

 



I poked around until I found an adult comix that I could relate to.





I soon located this cozy corner where I could read in peace to the gentle ticking of an antique grandfather clock. 





And there I stayed all afternoon, warm and safe from the wind and the rain outside the window.





At UMass this morning people were handing out these flyers.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see the Haymarket is starting to have live music. That is long overdue.

Anonymous said...

Don looks all drugged up, a good prospect for obamas administration.

marginalutility said...

Wow, Luke, Don, & Rebecca (the dog girl w/facial designs) in 1 post! Luke & Rebecca came to the Bridge St fundraising party for Freedom Center & Poverty Is Not A Crime--Luke donated a live performance.,,