BSO

BSO

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Remembering Ryan

 

The entire Pioneer Valley was saddened today by the death of former Springfield Mayor Charles V. Ryan. Here is a tribute to Ryan by former Springfield City Council member Mitchell J. Ogulewicz. 


Mitch Ogulewicz with Joan and Charlie Ryan.


A TRIBUTE TO MY FRIEND

by Mitchell J. Ogulewicz

 

On Monday, October 18, 2021, the United States lost two great Americans. One was a national icon, General Colin Powell. The other was the beloved former Mayor, Charles V. Ryan. 

I was fortunate to have met “Charlie” Ryan in 1958, when I was 11 years old. One day as I was peddling my bike around the neighborhood, a young lady stopped me and asked if I wanted to deliver pamphlets around the neighborhood. My response was to say yes, because the neighborhood where I lived “Hungry Hill,” was a political hotbed. Two consecutive Mayors since 1945 were from Hungry Hill. 

As I went into the neighborhood Campaign Headquarters for Attorney William J. Foley, a candidate for Hampden County District Attorney, I was introduced to Foley’s Campaign Manager, Charlie Ryan. Charlie shook my hand and the young lady, told him that I was going to do a pamphlet drop. Out I went and delivered the pamphlets to homes on my street (Cleveland Street) and then on Grover Street. 

When I returned to the Headquarters (which was just around the corner from my parents’ home) on Liberty Street, I informed Charlie that I had delivered all the pamphlets. Charlie reached into his pocket and handed me some coins and said to get myself an ice cream cone at the “Friendly’s” just up the street. 

Since it was Summer, occasionally I would stop by the Headquarters on Liberty Street looking to help. Stuffing envelopes, passing out more pamphlets and anything that needed to be done. This was my introduction to political campaigning.

 In 1959, Charlie led the campaign to change the Springfield City Charter from a Bi-Carmel form of government to a Plan A Charter form of government. Again, I was out there hustling to help to change the Charter. Honestly, I really did not understand why the change was needed. But since Charlie was heading up the campaign for the change, it must be the right thing to do. Thanks to Charlie’s leadership the Charter change was a success. 

 In 1961, another campaign. This time Charlie was running for Mayor of Springfield. If Charlie were to be elected, he would be the first Mayor under the Plan A Charter. During the campaign, I spent most of my Saturdays with Charlie’s younger brother Bob. Bob and I would be out putting up campaign signs and dropping off the Ryan Campaign Newspaper to be delivered by other campaign workers. During the campaign, there were various Ryan Rallies. Bobby and I would do skits and sing to entertain the crowd, waiting for Charlie’s speech. 

 On November 7th, election day, Charlie was elected Mayor of Springfield. When the returns came in Charlie had defeated the incumbent Mayor, Tommy O’Connor. The jubilation was an exciting end to a hard-fought campaign. I even sipped what was left in some of the champagne bottles. 

 Around 10:30 P.M., Charlie said OKAY, let’s go. Charlie and his top campaign people, led by, Barbara “Buzzy” Garvey headed to the television studios of WWLP Channel 22 for Charlie to be interviewed. I was preparing to head home, when Charlie looked at me and said, “Mickey” you where a big helper, go with Bobby and he will take you home after the interview. So off to Channel 22 we went. 

Charlie was reelected two times and served as Mayor from January 1962 through January 1968. In 1967, Charlie decided not to seek reelection. Instead, he decided to run for a seat in Congress. It was now 1968 and Charlie would be seeking the seat held by Congressman Edward Boland, an eight-term incumbent. 

 Eddie Boland was a beloved figure from the Hungry Hill neighborhood, as well as a close confidant of the late President, John Kennedy, as well as the Kennedy family. By 1968, I was in the Air Force, stationed overseas. I took a 30 day leave and came back to the States. The Ryan- Boland primary was in full swing. I could not resist, upon arriving back to Springfield and immediately headed downtown to the Ryan Headquarters. 

There was the old campaign gang, again headed up by Buzzy Garvey. I went right to work doing all the campaign work that needed to be done. The 1968 Democratic National Convention was happening and for those who remember, the Convention was a disaster. 

A couple of days after the convention, I received a call from the Ryan Headquarters and was asked to come down, Charlie wanted to speak to me. When I reached the Headquarters, Charlie sat down at a table and asked me if I would be willing to participate in a 30-minute televised coffee hour at the other local television station, WHYN Channel 40. He wanted me to prepare questions about my generation, anti-war activists, those who were fighting in Vietnam and other issues pertaining to my generation. I agreed and a couple of days later, met up with Charlie at Channel 40, where we taped a 30-minute political coffee hour commercial. 

 Mind you, I was in the Air Force, I did not wear my uniform for the commercial. But, I was not mindful at that time, it was a no-no for military personnel to participate in political campaigns. Charlie was defeated by Congressman Boland in the September Democratic Primary. 

Upon my discharge in October 1970, after nearly 4 years in the Air Force, I once again became involved in various political campaigns. From Local to Statewide and National campaigns, which were all different and all exciting. After the 1982, campaign for my friend John Kerry there was lots of talk that there was a possibility of running for elective office myself. 

At that time, I had no interest in holding elective office. The main reason being I was a rebel. There were two individuals I visited, to discuss seeking a seat on the Springfield City Council. One of the individuals was Charlie Ryan. I headed to Charlie’s Law office and sat down with him to discuss the pros and cons. Charlie asked me a series of questions and commented on my answers. In the end, Charlie told me I had the right reasons for wanting to serve and he would help me in any way he could.

As many of you know, it was a tough campaign for the City Council. The City Council was made up of nine members, who were all elected Citywide. There were sixty-seven candidates in the Primary. Narrowed down to eighteen for the final election in November. 

With the help of some of Charlie’s 9 kids, I was elected to one of nine seats on the City Council in 1983. Many times, I sought Charlie’s advice. At times he would disagree with me. Other times he would agree and would advise me on how to approach an issue. 

The major issue that Charlie agreed with me on, was the fiscal responsibility of the City. Springfield had a series of Mayors who were incapable of managing the finances of the city. Starting with Richie Neal, better known as “Rubber Richie” who along with Mike Albano were irresponsible in their management of the City Finances. 

So, after 43 years since Charlie’s first election as Mayor in 1961 and 37 years since he had been Mayor of Springfield, Charlie stepped forward once again to serve his beloved City by seeking the Office of Mayor in 2003. After a tough election, Charlie was once again elected Mayor of Springfield. 

The day he was inaugurated, Charlie inherited a $43 million deficit. It was time to roll up the sleeves and get the city back on stable fiscal ground. Working long hours, Charlie, and with the help of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the road to fiscal responsibility was achieved.

 Now, at age 94, Charlie has finished his tasks and rejoins his wonderful wife Joan, as they go together for eternity with the same love and compassion they have had for each other, their family and for the City of Springfield. 

THANK YOU CHARLIE FOR MENTORING ME, HELPING ME AND MOSTLY FOR YOUR FRIENDSHIP.



Here's a restaurant Charlie used to visit, the late and much lamented Lido's Restaurant, shown here in 1974.




A modern mayor getting goofy in Westfield. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pumkinhead ain't mayor no more.....