BSO

BSO

Monday, December 17, 2007

Dad Obit


Dawn reading.

O Insomnia, my faithful but unwelcome bedtime companion! Today before dawn I went out in search of a newspaper so I could read my father's obituary. At the end of the dark street I could see the Northampton Christmas tree. 





Except for an occasional passing car, I was alone on the streets of the sleeping city.

 



I found a newspaper box and here is my Dads obit as it appears in today's edition of the Springfield Republican.

Richard F. Devine Sr. 1930-2007
WEST SPRINGFIELD-Richard F. Devine Sr., 77, of 1153 Elm Street, died Saturday in Mercy Hospital. He was born in Springfield, graduated from Technical High School and moved to West Springfield in 1981. Dick attended AIC, served in the United States Air Force during the Korean War and was a communicant of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church in Springfield. He worked as a bartender at the Black Stallion, the Mountain Laurel, The Fort and at Springfield Country Club for the last 30 years. Dick also worked at Monsanto and had a great love for the Boston Red Sox. He was known throughout the area for his karaoke singing. He leaves three sons, John Conrad and his wife Connie of Fernley, NV, Richard Devine and his wife Florence of Ludlow and Thomas Devine of Amherst, three daughters, Beverly Devine of Westfield, Debra Devine of Chicopee and Donna Schneider and her husband Steve of Belchertown, two brothers John and his wife Marcie of Texas and Wallace of Wilbraham, a sister Shirley Chamberlin and her husband Norman of Texas, ten grandchildren and nine great grandchildren. He was predeceased by a granddaughter Erin Devine. The funeral will be Wednesday at 9 am from West Springfield Curran-Jones Funeral Home followed by Mass at Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Church at 10 am. Burial with Military Honors will take place at St. Michael's Cemetery. Calling hours are Tuesday 4-7 pm. Memorial donations may be made to Griffin's Friends, BHS Development Office, 6th Floor, 280 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA 01199.

3 comments:

Mary E.Carey said...

Nine great grandchildren. THAT'S quite a legacy. And you're a great storyteller who can continue to tell stories about him.

Bill Dusty said...

Tom,

The first time I saw a photo of your dad, I thought he looked familiar. Did he ever sing karoake at "The Meadows" in East Longmeadow? I know that's like asking you which gas station he filled up at, but I think I may have seen your dad singing on several occasions.

Tom said...

I really don't know where he used to go, but it is very possible.