BSO

BSO

Friday, May 2, 2008

Leafleting in Action

Door to door.

 



One of the ways I atone for the sins of addiction is by doing public service. Usually I go help at the Amherst Survival Center, but today I did something different. I went and passed out flyers for my local neighborhood council announcing an upcoming meeting where citizens surrounding the county fairgrounds can discuss proposed revisions to the area. I did this by leaving at people's houses the following flyer. 




I don't know that much about the issues involved nor do I much care about them. I am, however, no stranger to the act of leafleting. Years ago, when this website was the print publication The Baystate Objectivist I was always going around with copies in my hand passing them out to everyone I met. People used to say what a good gig I had as the publisher of a popular zine, but in reality I often felt like a glorified paperboy.

In any case, as I went about alerting the citizens of Northampton of their civic duty, I brought my camera along in case I came upon anything of interest. This being Northampton, of course I did. 



I like this cow-covered mailbox.





Also cool is this Donne/Hemingway inspired door mat.

 



Postal workers are employees of the Federal government. This resident wants government workers to know what's on her mind. 





I sometime regard trees as observers of our lives, but this is ridiculous. 





Dig this eagle and mushroom. 





You can't get stoned on the mushroom because the mushroom is made of stone.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Did the moonbat think the postal worker reports directly to Bush? "Hey, Mr. President, I got a complaint today from a resident in Northampton." Unbelievable.