BSO

BSO

Monday, December 17, 2012

Iced

An overnight icestorm left trees bending under the weight of ice along the woodland way into downtown Northampton this morning.


Every individual strand of this evergreen is coated in ice!


My neighbor's cats contemplate the slippery scene from the safety of their front window.


It was a welcome relief to enter the warm and cozy comfort of the Haymarket.



It ain't easy making a career in journalism today, as New York Times blogger Michael Winerip reports:

It’s much harder today. I was able to get out of college and have a career. I started at a little paper in Rochester, NY and went to a bigger paper in Hazard, Kentucky. And then Louisville, Kentucky. And then Miami and then The Times. I could work my way up. And every place I get a better salary, more responsibility. Today I think its much harder. I see people in their 20s, writers, and they’re writing online, and they’re not getting compensated for what they should be getting compensated. Very exploitative.

Read more here.

Speaking of bad weather, here are some scenes of a snowstorm at Mount Holyoke College in 1937.


No comments: