BSO

BSO

Monday, September 17, 2018

Millie


 

I am sorry to hear of the death of longtime Springfield activist Mildred Dubar (above with former Senator Gale Candaras and former Governor Deval Patrick in 2008). Dunbar passed away earlier this month at the age of 97.

"Millie" as she was known to everyone, was born in Pine Point in a house on Boston Road that once stood where the former Doyle the Twig Painter gallery now stands. She was a Pine Point resident her entire life until fading health caused her to be unable to remain in her own home. 

 


Sometimes called "The Queen of the Activists" she was widely praised for her unusually intense devotion to the concept of citizen participation in the political process. A lifelong devout Democrat, she none the less was willing, indeed anxious, to help anyone, regardless of political persuasion, who was interested in learning the ropes of participating in the byzantine snake pit known as Springfield politics.

During a time when I was institutionalized, and had no access to computers nor even newspapers, Millie used to send me once or twice a week an envelope full of clippings and other newsworthy items to help keep me abreast of what was going down on the political scene. I came to refer to these telegrams from the outside world as "Millie-grams" and after a while even the staff that brought me my mail would say things like, "You got a Millie-gram today." One time she sent me the following letter:

Dear Tom

A way to greatly reduce crime and violence: Make drugs available to all over 18, just as Congress did when they ratified the 21st Amendment in 1933 which permitted the sale of liquor.

Let's talk about the real world. Born in 1920, my adopted parents both drank although it was illegal; as a child I recall four locations, North End, South End, Eastern Avenue and Pine Point, where they purchased whiskey.

My father worked for the City of Springfield and lost very little time from work, this was a period when even those who were well educated were unemployed. It was a time when I'd see a man eating a sandwich on my back steps, many would walk to the next city looking for work. My mother had no fear of the man, the screen door had no hook. The wooden door had a ten cent skeleton key one could purchase in any five and dime store. Compare that with the thousands many spend today on security systems for their homes, cars and business property.

Unfortunately my mother was an alcoholic, both parents lost their driver's license, but that was no problem. She called a taxicab and many times took me with her while she drank and conversed at a speak-easy. At home there was always plenty of food in the icebox and fresh fruit. When she was drinking meals were not prepared so as a child I just took whatever I could reach to eat.

One way police knew a car was carrying a load of whiskey was the trunk would be way down on the springs. Many in law enforcement in decades past (as currently) were on the take. Those who were in the business made plenty of money, as it is now with drugs! Therefore there will be thousands throughout the world who would lose millions of dollars and be unequivocally opposed to legalizing the sale of drugs.

Is there a conspiracy tied into all this?

Unfortunately drugs have been in this world for many centuries. This old woman (85) has not lost her mind, no I live in the real world. This problem isn't going away.

Mildred B. Dunbar


In this apathetic and cynical age, our Valley will not likely see another activist quite like Millie Dunbar, and we are poorer for it.



 

The UMass Farmer's Market has started up for the harvest season.


Are you planning to pick apples this fall?


 


WAY FAST!

No comments: