BSO

BSO

Sunday, November 26, 2023

A Wash

 

Although it has been in business for decades, I never have any reason to stop in at the Masonic Street Laundry in downtown Northampton. 



However, the other day I missed the bus and was looking for a place to hang out other than waiting outdoors at Pulaski Park, so I stopped in to sit and stare at my phone until the next bus came. I was the only person in there, although washers and driers were noisily running. That's because a lot of laundry patrons spend their wait-time sipping next door in Packard's



I took advantage of my solitude to explore the joint. They have some old books and magazines for those who don't want to drink at Packard's

 


 

This pin-up wall is dedicated to all the lost socks that have never been retrieved by their owners. 



I was surprised to see photos and drawings hanging up. 



Most impressive is this section featuring old posters from the local music scene. 


 

Gee, I guess I really do live in an "Arts Town" if even a laundromat serves as an art gallery. 

 

The entrance to Grace Church in Amherst before dawn. photo by d.sears



 

Downtown Springfield on a Sunday in 1974. 

 


 

An advertisement from 1907. 



Gone but not forgotten. 



Flashback - The foolishness finally ends in 2022.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if those laundry mat books came from its once upon a time neighbor The Old Bookstore?