BSO

BSO

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Opening

After two years of maddening delays, the big day arrives at last.


Dawn upon the woodland way.


Surprisingly heavy downtown traffic for so early.


Finally I arrive at the cannabis oasis.


The line of people, some of whom have been there all night, is in the hundreds and stretches around the block.


It doesn't help that there was a wintry mix of snow and rain. Among those braving the elements was Attorney Dick Evans, a longtime crusader for legalization. It was indeed a big day for activists like Evans and Terry Franklin, who were fighting for legalization back in the days when it was difficult, and even dangerous, to do so.



The media had their own section set up.


The cops were there, but only to direct traffic. For the first time, stoners could buy marijuana without fear of law enforcement.


UMass journalism Professor Mary Carey took this picture of me. I'm shivering in the cold, but happy. I did not get in that long line to make any purchases, but you can be sure I will be checking the place out once all the hoopla dies down.


In the meantime, I hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: