BSO

BSO

Monday, December 20, 2021

Hoop Story

 

 

A little over fifty years ago, my friend and I had crushes on some freshman boys from Springfield College. Mind you, we were in high school.
They worked at the student run radio station WSCB, which broadcast the basketball games. As luck would have it, my friend’s father knew the Springfield College coach and got us tickets and even drove us up and back. Could life have gotten any better?
On the way over, he mentioned the opposing team had a talented player, whom everyone was talking about. He told us the player ‘s jersey number. I promised I’d look for him.
We got there and lo and behold, there were our college crushes. We waved and they politely waved back and returned to setting up their equipment.
Nothing left to do but watch the game. I made sure to watch for that player. I know nothing about sports (don’t judge me) but he seemed to be fast and made a lot of baskets.
Despite his efforts, Springfield College won .
I got to see those Springfield College guys and ended up with a story to tell about watching Julius Erving play college basketball.
- Marilyn Vennell

 

Bill Cosby at UMass through the years. 

 


 

Seen in Northampton.

 


 

Former Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse looking askance at some shady politicians in 2012. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many years ago Bill Cosby wrote the book Time Flies. Well I must say, his time in prison certainly flew by.